Training & Experience for BSUPA Instructor Qualification
CALM successfully launched Stand-Up Paddleboarding (SUP) lessons and sessions in the summer of 2019, and had big expansion plans for this year too. The Covid19 pandemic has meant that we have delayed all activities on the water, but have recently been able to restart 1-1 sessions.
It is hoped that we can increase group sizes from early June, and return to a busy schedule of lessons and sessions while still observing social distance requirements and protocols. More info on these will be shared once the latest government regulations are announced.
SUP instructors wanted!
We are also looking to support anybody who is interested in becoming a Level 1 SUP instructor and then working with us to deliver lessons and sessions. Calm is affiliated to the BSUPA organisation (British Stand Up Paddle Association), and subscribe to their instructor qualification levels.
Level 1 is the first stage of instructor qualification, and is based on completing a two day course and exam, plus also having 40 hours of paddle experience on the water. We have therefore put together a support course and package for anybody thinking about becoming an instructor, who wants to complete the required 40 hours of experience and training (all of which we will log for you).
Headline details of this package are listed below. Spaces on this first wave of the course (June/July) will be limited, so get in touch if it is of interest:
- 20 hours of small group training sessions on the river (10 sessions x 2 hours). Max group size of three people, learning the various skills and techniques that are required for the Level 1 Qual.
- 20 hours of experience shadowing normal lessons and sessions with an instructor
- All 40 hours will be logged and signed off by an instructor, including completion of the BSUPA Ready to Ride certificate
- Flexibility to do the sessions at various times in June/July and early August
- Cost is £250 pp, which works out at just over £6 per hour on the water, including all training, equipment and kit!
- We would then look to run a bespoke 2-day exam at Calm sometime in late Aug/early sept. This would be with an external BSUPA instructor and cost £225pp.
To submit your interest or to signup for the course, please fill in the form below.